Poison...And I'm Not Talking About the Band

As promised, the inevitable amusing catastrophe was all too happy to make an appearance. 
The back story: As most of you know, I met up with my Momma in San Antonio for four days of Texas Hold'em - Just kidding, I don't think either of us know how to play.  Regardless, we made sure to transfer all the food in my fridge into the hotel mini fridge so nothing would spoil.  Except we missed one.  A few slices of provolone cheese lurked in the back of my warming fridge for well over 96 hours before feeling a cool breeze once again.  When I discovered said product, I had two things on my mind: I absolutely had to have cheese on my pasta dish and you know, waste not want not.  So I gave it the ol' sniff test.  I tasted a tiny piece.  Sure, the right side had a little verde mold growing, but the left side was in its prime!  Oh don't judge me!  I proceeded to sprinkle approximately 1.5 slices upon my tasty pomodoro medley.

The dark of night soon overtook the fading horizon and I curled beside Eyore with a light heart and a full tummy beneath the looming Guadalupe Mountains.  Sleep fell upon me quickly, but at one time or another, I awoke to a sweating body and a bubbly stomach.  I tried to sleep through the growing pain, but alas, I decided to make the trek to the bathroom.  For the next twenty minutes I had the privilege of learning the art of the human digestive tract and what occurs when it is brutally interrupted.  As new cold sweats shook my core, I looked into the mirror in this fluorescent bathroom and wondered if my story would make local headlines: Girl Dies in National Park Bathroom After Poisoning...Herself.
And the fun doesn't stop there!  When I awoke from this hilarious nightmare the following morning, I
decided to cleanse my body with a good workout through my neighboring mountains.  Reading over the warnings of mountain lions and rattlesnakes, however, proved to create an inhospitable environment for my sanity and I found myself running up and down the near 7-mile trek I chose to follow.  Needless to say, some of the other hikers may have thought a coyote was calling nearby every time something stirred among the cacti near my feet.

I'm having so much fun, can't you tell!  To save you all some time, the following pictures tell the story of my New Mexico experience following my final days in Texas...

The Natural Entrance to Carlsbad Caverns National Park...
...And inside the largest limestone reserve in the western hemisphere

The Haunting White Sands National Monument

City of Rocks State Park
  



Comments

Popular Posts