The Vanventure

Melt away to the tunes of Pearl Jam as Honey transforms between your very eyes.  Although she is still undergoing some beautifying, you can certainly see how far we've come.  From the classic wood paneling to the two layers of shag carpeting, Honey is a far cry away from her 80s glory days.  Now she looks more like a beach wagon on wheels with light yellow and blue walls dawning satin white cabinets.  The softwood cedar floor ties the airy van together and a home is being built. 

Working on this van with my parents has been a gift.  Never before could I truly appreciate the long hours of my dad's life spent under the body of metal and grease.  Never had I felt the cramp in your hand from endless spray painting that far outweighs any pencil grip.  I learned to expect paint in my hair no matter how many times I showered.  But most importantly, those hot summer days spent listening to Woodstock radio while my dad cut bolts, my mom painted cabinets, Breeze lounged in the shade, and I primed the interior from floor to ceiling ignited a shared passion so deep that Honey has become our new member of the family.  Her walls are painted with laughter, her floors sprayed with aching knees.  Her new sunroof soaks in the sun that lights our hearts every time we pull open that creaky hatchback door.  From start to finish, this van has seen all of our emotions and heard all of our conversations.  Now, she awaits her final adornments before she, the pup, and I embark on the ultimate Vanventure.

Comments

Popular Posts